Guernsey, 25 October 2019 – Geoff White, co-creator of Edinburgh Fringe Festival sell-out show The Secret Life of Your Mobile Phone, is confirmed as the guest speaker at this year’s ICSA Guernsey Awards 2019. An investigative journalist, prolific writer and accomplished keynote speaker, Geoff will treat guests to a live, interactive phone hacking stage performance, which will show how the global technology industry is harvesting the data leaking from people’s handsets.
Taking place at The Duke of Richmond Hotel on Friday, 15 November 2019, the awards are the focal point of The Chartered Governance Institute’s Guernsey Branch Annual Dinner and celebrate the accomplishments of members and students in the field of governance. Open to all Guernsey-based members of the Institute, which changed its name last month from ICSA: The Governance Institute, awards are given in the following five categories:
• Company Secretary of the Year
• Governance Professional of the Year
• Corporate Services Team of the Year
• The One to Watch
• The Student Excellence Award
Tables for the event can be booked from Fiona Murray (firstname.lastname@example.org).
“Our members and students bring an incredible amount of governance expertise to the island and each year we recognise the substantial contribution to Guernsey’s economy that they make. International and local companies like to do business in Guernsey because it has a reputation as a trusted place in which to conduct business. Phone hackers and scammers can undermine that trust, however, and good governance is a first line of defence.
“Geoff is an expert in how the latest developments in technology are affecting our world. His work as an investigative journalist has brought about arrests, regulatory investigations and legislative action so I am delighted that he is joining us to share his knowledge and celebrate the achievements of our members and students. Their mastery of the complex legal and regulatory environment is essential in helping to fight against the unscrupulous. I would also like to thank our sponsors, Board Intelligence, Simplifie and First Intuition, for their support,” says Paul Smith, Guernsey Branch Chair.
- Ends -
For further information, please contact Paul Smith, Guernsey Branch Chair:
+44 (0)7781 102 324
Notes to Editors:
- The Chartered Governance Institute is the qualifying and membership body for governance with over 125 years’ experience of educating and supporting governance professionals. With a Royal Charter purpose of leading ‘effective and efficient governance and administration of commerce, industry and public affairs’, we provide professional development, guidance and thought leadership, and work with regulators and policy makers to champion high standards. Website: www.cgi.org.uk
- ICSA Guernsey branch represents the interests of over 500 members and students in the Bailiwick. Chartered status is conferred on those with sufficient and relevant experience who have passed the Chartered Secretaries Qualifying Programme or an Accredited Master’s Degree. For those looking for a successful career in the offshore financial services sector, The Chartered Governance Institute offers a suite of qualifications in International Finance and Administration.
- Geoff White biography:
Ever wondered how the latest developments in technology are affecting our world? Geoff White has. He dives deep into these issues as an accomplished keynote speaker and prolific writer, having spoken on panels and chaired debates at venues ranging from London’s Chatham House think-tank to the Latitude music festival.
As an investigative journalist, Geoff has covered technology for BBC News, Channel 4 News, Audible, Forbes online and many others. They aim to create real-world change, with a particular focus on e-crime and cybersecurity: his words have brought about arrests, regulatory investigations and legislative action.
Geoff created the Data Baby project, a unique experiment which used a fictional online identity to expose how our personal data is being used - and abused - online. He also recently completed a 10-part series delving into the shadow dark web economy that feeds on stolen personal data, hacked computers and corporate incompetence.
Geoff is also the co-creator of The Secret Life of Your Mobile Phone, a live, interactive phone hacking stage performance which shows how the global technology industry is harvesting the data leaking from your handset. The show was a sell–out hit at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival 2017, and has been performed at music festivals, political conferences and for corporate clients.
He has written and presented two major podcast series for Audible. Artificial Intelligence: Friend or Foe? reveals the origins of AI, and shows how the technology is seeping into everyday life. The Dark Web exposes the shadow internet created by the US military and now home to hackers, crooks and freedom fighters.
Geoff is an experienced public speaker, who has given keynote talks at some of the UK’s largest tech events, in addition to hosting conferences and chairing panels at venues ranging from London’s Chatham House think-tank to the Latitude music festival.