Non-executive director/Trustee at NAS Academies Trust
Could you be a Trustee and Academy Ambassador in Reading? NAS Academies Trust seeks a non-executive director/Trustee to join its board. Board meetings are held at EC1V 1NG when safe to do so, but are expected to be held virtually for the foreseeable future.
The Academy Ambassadors programme brings the expertise of the business world onto boards at single-academy and multi-academy trusts (SATs and MATs) throughout the country to raise standards of education and improve the life chances of young people, which is critical to our social and economic success.
The National Autistic Society (NAS) has been running schools for children on the autism spectrum for over 50 years. When the Government introduced the free schools strategy, the opportunity to establish NAS Academies Trust (NASAT) was recognised. NASAT's first free school, the Thames Valley School in Reading, opened in September 2013 and the second, Church Lawton School, opened in Cheshire in January 2015, with the brand new Vanguard School opening in January 2020 in Lambeth, South London. Both the trust's first schools are Ofsted rated Good, with Vanguard School yet to receive its first inspection. These schools and the trust as a whole seek to address the needs of children on the autism spectrum and to transform not only their lives, but also those of their families, by delivering an outstanding education to all its learners.
The board seeks a business leader with board level experience in:
- Strategic Educational Leadership
The trust will be asking the Trustee to also Chair the Local Governing Body of the Thames Valley School in Reading. They will therefore need to live within a reasonable travel time for Reading.
As a key member of the board you will support the trust in achieving the following over the next 12 - 24 months:
- Continue to grow the Vanguard School in Lambeth to reach its registered capacity. The first year of operation has been successful despite Covid, but a return to normal operation will be welcome.
- Develop the 6th form provision at Church Lawton School.
- Develop proposals for 6th form provision at Thames Valley School.
- Ensure the maintenance of well led and high quality staff teams at all three schools with good recruitment and retention performance.
- Maintain the highest standards of safeguarding across all schools.
Board governance in education is a strategic, 'eyes on, hands off' commitment. At NASAT this involves attending four board meetings per year, amounting to around 6 hours' time per month. As the role includes being the chair of the Lower Governing Body at the Thames Valley Trust, there is also a need suitable time commitment to attend LGB meetings.
You will be responsible for:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the effective and efficient performance management of staff; and
- Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent
As an Academy Ambassador, you will join our ambassador network which provides resources, guidance, networking events and webinars to support you in your role.
All roles are pro bono.
People from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Please register your interest now to be considered for the role.
Please be aware the closing date may change if we have received sufficient applications.