Non-Executive Director/Trustee at The New Guild Trust
The Academy Ambassadors programme brings the expertise of the business world onto boards at single-academy and multi-academy trusts (SATs and MATs) throughout the country to raise standards of education and improve the life chances of young people, which is critical to our social and economic success.
The New Guild Trust, a four-school multi-academy trust (MAT) based in Stoke-on-Trent, seeks a new trustee to join the board. Comprising almost 1,000 students and over 150 staff, the trust aims to close the attainment gap for disadvantaged students and achieve at least Ofsted Good ratings for all of its schools. The trust aims to strengthen its governance arrangements and plan for future sustainable growth. Trust board meetings are currently held virtually, pre-pandemic they were held at Alexandra Infants School, Normacot, Stoke-on-Trent.
This is a four-school primary-only MAT, comprising Infant and Junior Schools in two opposite locations of Stoke-on-Trent. The schools in The New Guild Trust serve areas of extremely high challenge: all schools are in areas of the highest levels of deprivation nationally, with higher than national averages for pupil premium and children with Special Educational Needs (SEND). Furthermore, two of the schools have significantly higher than national mobility and pupils with English as an additional language.
The board seeks a business leader with experience in
- Law AND
- Non-executive/trustee role
As a key member of the board you will support the trust in achieving the following over the next 12 - 24 months:
- Standards - rapid progress and high quality well-being support for all children following the disruption to learning during the pandemic. Further focus on improving attendance and reducing persistent absence. Ofsted grading to be at least Good for all schools in the trust.
- Finance & Growth - finances continue to be accurately monitored, reported and all funding rigorously provides best value across all schools.
- Leadership - trustees will ensure the highest quality of leadership is maintained across all schools.
Board governance in education is a strategic, 'eyes on, hands off' commitment which typically involves attending c. six board meetings per year/6-8 hours' time per month.
You will be responsible for:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the effective and efficient performance management of staff; and
- Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent
As an Academy Ambassador, you will join our ambassador network which provides resources, guidance, networking events and webinars to support you in your role.
All roles are pro bono.
People from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Please register your interest now to be considered for the role.
When you select Apply now you will be redirected to the Academy Ambassadors webpage where you will find a full role specification with more details of the opportunity and the trust, including details of how to apply for the position.
Please be aware the closing date may change if we have received sufficient applications.