Head of Governance and Legal Services
- Bloomsbury Institute
- London (Bloomsbury WC1B 3RA)
- To be set by Institute's Remuneration Committee
- Job title
- Company secretary, Compliance / Legal roles, Head of Governance
- Job type
- Full time
Bloomsbury Institute is a higher education provider, regulated by the Office for Students, and we deliver undergraduate degrees in accounting, business and law. The majority of our teaching is delivered at Birkbeck College, University of London. We currently have c. 70 members of staff and 1,000 students, with plans to progressively increase student numbers to c. 2,000.
We pride ourselves on providing disadvantaged and underrepresented students with access to a transformative higher education experience. We recruit students that have the potential, aptitude, attitude and aspiration to succeed. This is key to us fulfilling our broader vision of offering students from all backgrounds the opportunity to define and pursue success through education.
We have bespoke Articles of Association, with some entrenched provisions, and a separate Corporate and Academic Governance Framework (that incorporates a Scheme of Delegation); see: https://www.bil.ac.uk/qem/section-1/.
We map our corporate and academic governance arrangements against the CUC’s Higher Education Code of Governance. Our first external review of our governance arrangements will conclude in July 2021.
The Head of Governance and Legal Services is one of four newly created senior-level posts, reporting directly to the Head of the Institute (the Managing Director and Academic Principal).
The Head of Governance and Legal Services will:
- Lead on governance, to include undertaking the role of Company Secretary to the Board of Directors, and its Audit Committee, Remuneration Committee and Nominations Committee.
- Oversee the Institute’s approach to risk management and ensure it remains fit-for-purpose, and maintain the Corporate Risk Register.
- Provide legal advice to the Board of Directors and other bodies/individuals within the Institute, and proactively contribute to the development and operation of the Institute’s pro-bono Law Clinic, to include the supervision of student and professional volunteers.
- To serve as the executive lead for Health and Safety, operational implementation being the responsibility of the Estates and Facilities Department.
Please read the full Job Description and Person Specification before emailing your letter of application and CV to: email@example.com
Please include the title of the post you have applied for in the subject heading of the email.
The closing date for applications is 14:00 hours on Friday 7 May 2021.
Bloomsbury Institute is an equal opportunities employer. We actively welcome applications from disabled persons and can offer flexible working to help you balance work with your other commitments.