Trust Secretary - Head of Corporate Governance
Permanent - Full Time 37.5 hours per week (Part -time and Job Share welcomed)
Salary – £53,168 - £62,001, Agenda for Change, Band 8B
Base – Agile and/or home working
The North East Ambulance Service (NEAS) is looking to appoint a passionate and enthusiastic Trust/Company Secretary-Head of Corporate Governance, to be the principal advisor to the Board of Directors.
The Trust provides urgent and emergency care services across Northumberland, Tyne and Wear, County Durham, Darlington and Teesside. These include an Unscheduled Care Service to respond to emergency calls, and a Scheduled Care service which provides pre-planned non-emergency transport for patients across the north east region. We also provide 111/999 call answering services from our integrated emergency operations centre alongside our integrated urgent care hub/clinical advisory service. This service now employs a multidisciplinary team of GP’s, Pharmacists, Macmillan and Mental Health Nurses to ensure our patients receive the best care possible first time.
Rated “good” by the CQC following inspection in October 2018, we are an Investor in People and our Staff Survey ratings place us as best in class in several areas, one of which was patient safety. NEAS is also recognised as a leader in Integrated Urgent and Emergency Care nationally.
We are on a continuous journey of improvement and transformation, so this is a truly fantastic opportunity to join the Trust and to take your career to the next level.
You will be working within a supportive senior leadership team as well as a wider team of Support Services, PA’s and Clinical Professionals; not to mention the added advantage of a great work-life balance with agile ways of working, and job satisfaction.
Reporting to the Chief Executive, you will also provide support and advice to the Directors (Executive and Non-Executive) and Council of Governors, on all aspects of governance; including corporate governance, administrative and legislative compliance.
This role is pivotal within the organisation, with a broad portfolio which includes:
- Guiding the Board in the responsible and effective conduct of its role, providing, where appropriate, a discreet, independent and challenging voice in relation to Board deliberations and decision-making;
- Providing a confidential sounding board to the Chair and individual Board Members on all aspects of Board business including issues of concern;
- Ensuring compliance with all relevant legal, constitutional and regulatory requirements associated with Foundation Trust status;
- Managing business cycles for Council of Governors, Board of Directors, Governor Committees, and Governor Elections;
- Acting as a key point of contact for Governors, Non-Executive Directors and Monitor with regard to constitutional and corporate governance;
- To support and co-ordinate the development of our Governor & Non-Executive Director training programmes;
- Co-ordinate the preparation, publication, distribution and presentation of the Annual Report and Accounts.
We need someone highly driven that can mirror our values, with the skill and flexibility to operate at a high pace independently and overcome challenges readily, positively and collaboratively. Outstanding communication, negotiation and influencing skills will be imperative to your success.
- A Chartered Company Secretary (ICSA) or Company Lawyer (Qualifying Law Degree (LLB)) or Financial Accountant and have evidence of CPD (or working towards)
- Educated to minimum of Master’s level or equivalent management qualification (or working towards)
- Experienced in working successfully as a Trust Secretary or in a Senior Governance role.
- Experienced in servicing Boards & Committees.
Successful candidates will be invited to an assessment. Those successful in the assessment will be invited back for interview on the afternoon.
For an informal discussion about the role, please contact Helen Ray Chief Executive via her PA Gillian.Elsender@neas.nhs.uk
- Additional info: Job description (329kb) (the link will open in a new window)