The course will start at 9:00 and finish at 17:00. Time has been given for breaks throughout the day. Start and finish times are subject to change.
Please expand the dropdown to see the course programme timetable and highlights.
Welcome, introductions and overview
What are the responsibilities of the company secretary?
- Responsibilities to the board, the company and shareholders
- Core duties: statutory registers and records
- Understanding delegations of authority
- Structure of the secretariat/combining the role with other functions
What does an effective company secretary do?
- UK legal framework; regulation and legal aspects
- Companies Act 2006
- Registrar of Companies/Companies House
- Board support aspects and the provision of information to the board and its committees
The company secretary and the governance framework
- The company secretary and the overall governance architecture of the organisation
- The company secretary as a ‘gatekeeper’
Group work: Case Study
The company secretary as a conduit of information to the board
- The role of directors
- The link between the board and the business
- Being a point of access, services and advice for all directors
- Responsibility for all board procedures and the compliance of board procedures
The company secretary and the board
- Advising and assisting directors on their duties and responsibilities
- Promoting and reviewing new corporate governance developments
Conclusions and round up